I’ve decided that my 1st recipe post is going to be about the 1st thing we eat every morning here at home…the SUPER BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE!
I pack our smoothies with as many nutrients as I know how while still keeping it tasty, of course! After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, no? Yes.
It’s very easy to make. All you need is a blender & the following:
– 1 Ripe Banana
– 1 cup Frozen Strawberries
– 1 cup Frozen Blueberries
– 2 tbs Vega Smoothie Powder
– 3 tbs Shelled Hemp Seeds
– 2 tbs Milled Flax Seeds
– Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice from 1 Orange
– 1 cup Almond Milk (you may add more for a thinner consistency)
That’s it! Just blend all the ingredients together, pour it into a to-go cup, & go! (Makes about 16oz – One 8oz smoothie has about 16 grams of protein, 339 calories & 12 grams of fibre.)
Here’s why I use what I use:
– Banana,Orange, Strawberries & Blueberries: I’m not going too in depth here. We all know fruit is super healthy & should be eaten everyday. Fruit is a wonderful source of fiber, antioxidants & other nutrients. I found this nifty little site with lots of facts & information on different types of fruit: Link to nifty fruit site.
– Vega Smoothie Powder: I love this stuff! 2 tbs of this is packed with all types of natural plant-based ingredients. It’s a great source of fiber, protein, & Omega 3. It’s sugar, dairy, gluten & soy free. I even use it when I bake sometimes if I want to hide some veggies in dessert. (I’m a sneaky mom.)
– Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds: I discovered these when I was Googling around ways to add protein to our diet. These tiny seeds are chewy & have a very mild nutty flavor making them easy to use anywhere: smoothies, salad dressings & topping, dips, sauces, etc…
They contain 10 essential amino acids, antioxidants, & an array of vitamins & minerals including iron & vitamin E. Oh! & all the protein I was looking for…3 tablespoons = 10grams of protein!
– Flax Seeds: An amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids & fiber. It’s also been known to lower cholesterol & prevent cancer growth. American Cancer Society for more on flax.
– Fortified Almond Milk: Tastes delicious & creamy! We actually prefer it over cow’s milk at our house. Contains calcium, vitamin D & B12 which is extra important for those of you on a vegetarian or vegan eating plan.
I had to make a lot of smoothies, & try to calculate nutrition facts, & all sorts of trial & error to come to this recipe. I really feel this is the most nutritious meal we have everyday! Give it a try!